Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti

My heart, our hearts, should be more burdened for what is going on in Haiti. So often, it is easy for me to forget that suffering exists in the world. From my comfortable vantage point on the couch, life is easy. It seems impossible to imagine the chaos, fear and uncertainty that is gripping lives all across Haiti right now.

I wish there was something that I could do to help. Nathan and I have donated money, but I wish there was more. I was just convicted as I walked into my bathroom, opened the drawer and pulled out Neosporin and a bandaid for my burned finger. My injury is tiny compared to the children who have broken their pelvis, back, arm, leg or shoulders in the earthquake.

Nathan and I chose to donate to Samaritan's Purse, https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/Giving/Haiti_Donation/, which is just one of many organizations that are providing relief in Haiti. We have also donated through this site: http://aaronivey.portmerch.com/stores/product.php?productid=17149. I wish I could give more.

I know that this is all part of God's redemptive plan, but right now I am struggling to understand how this fits in. I trust in the sovereignty of the Lord, but that is easy to say as I sit in my apartment, with a glass of water in hand and dinner on the table. I would hope that my words and sentiments would be the same if I were in Haiti right now.

Some friends pointed me to this blog, and I have found it extremely helpful in understanding what is going on, besides what the media is reporting: http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/. You can also follow Troy on Twitter: http://twitter.com/troylivesay. He has been giving consistent updates.

The Haitian government today announced that they estimate 140,000 people have died in the earthquake. Sweet Jesus, please allow the rescuers to find more people. Allow the hope and the promise that resides only in You to permeate this nation. Strengthen the missionaries and the church in Haiti.

No comments: