Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Might Be Crazy

I might be crazy. Seriously.

I have decided to get my Master's degree in one year. Actually, two semesters - Fall and Spring.

The reason I applied to the University of Dallas was the fact that they advertised that their Masters in Politics program could be completed in a year. Once I got there and met with my Advisor, I learned that only 4 students have ever completed the program in a year. Yikes. Every Professor I have met with (and by the way they aren't called professors at UD.....they all have their PhD and we refer to them as Dr. such and such, never professor. I actually was slightly chastised for calling one of my Dr.'s, professor, but anyways....) has said that I would be crazy to try and complete this program in a year. They say it can't be done.

I say, bring it on.

So I am taking 15 hours this semester and 15 hours in the Spring. I am actually really excited about my classes. Three of them are the traditional set up: midterm, final and one research paper. One of them simply has one 12 page paper and two 4 page papers (easy!!). The other one has a take home midterm, a final and one paper. Also important to note that only 2 of my classes are strictly graduate only courses. The other 3 are open to Senior Politics majors, which means technically they are undergrad - the only difference for me is that my paper has to be 5 pages longer. Again, easy.

My classes are amazing, so amazing. I will admit that by sharing with you all (and by that I mean my maybe 4 faithful readers) that I will come off as a nerd, but I am really excited about all my classes. So here goes.

Monday
6:00 - 8:50 pm Rousseau

T/R
9:30 - 10:50 Plato's Republic
11:00 - 12:20 Federalists/AntiFederalists
12:30 - 1:50 International Law

Wednesday
7:00 - 9:50 pm Modern Thought

Midterms will be manageable since I only have 3. Finals will be a bit harder as I will have 4. Since I have 5 research papers due between November 24 - December 11, I have decided to start writing them in early October. If I at least start my research and get my topics approved I can work on the papers as I have time for the next 1.5 months instead of waiting til the last minute.

I'm really excited. Possibly more excited that come May 2010 I will have my Masters in Politics, which opens up a whole new range of career possibilities. Maybe in Dallas, but honestly and hopefully in Washington D.C. Sometimes I miss D.C. so much that my heart aches. But now as I sit in these classes I can feel my dream of moving back to D.C. inching back closer and closer.

It's going to be a long two semesters with lots of studying but I am so excited. Bring it.

No comments: